In October 2019 the City approved and adopted (Petition #2019-103) a comprehensive rewrite of the sign regulations in its Zoning Ordinance (found HERE). This last occurred in 1992, almost 30 years prior! The October 2019 rewrite was preceded by new sign regulations approved and adopted for the City’s new TOD zoning districts introduced in April 2019.
The October 2019 rewrite:
- Addressed trends in the Charlotte community, the legal environment, and the development and sign/advertising industries
- Created consistency and uniformity in regulations
- Updated language and graphics to be clear, simple, and easy to use, and
- Collated regulations previously scattered throughout the Zoning Ordinance
NO SUBSTANTIVE CHANGES were adopted for Outdoor Advertising (i.e. billboard) signs.
The sign regulations are used and/or applied by stakeholders on an almost daily basis. This frequency provides for an almost instantaneous and continuous feedback loop. This provides the City with opportunities to quickly identify areas for improvement or clarification of the sign regulations. This forms the basis of proposing to update via text amendment (Petition #2020-104) the sign regulations approved and adopted in October 2019.
Petition #2020-104 seeks to:
- Provide additional flexibility and allow more creative design
- Provide better scale for certain sign types
- Provide for greater utilization of wall space for sign area
- Address unintended consequences
- Clarify the enforcement process, and
- Update, add, and delete graphics and definitions
NO SUBSTANTIVE CHANGES are proposed for Outdoor Advertising (i.e. billboard) signs.
The information below provides additional information on Petition #2020-104.
The tentative schedule for Petition #2020-104 is as follows:
- Public Hearing at City Council – September 21, 2020
- Zoning Committee Recommendation – October 6, 2020
- City Council Decision – October 19, 2020
If you have questions and/or feedback regarding the 2020 sign regulations update text amendment, Petition #2020-104, feel free to reach out to UDO team member Kevin May via phone at (704) 336-7811 and/or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.